Coconut water during pregnancy is considered to be a good source of nutrients. It’s lower in calories, sugar, and sodium than fruit juices. It’s also naturally fat-free, low in cholesterol, and free of added colorings and flavorings.
Other benefits of coconut water
Other than many nutrients contained, drinking coconut water may also:
- boosts your immune system to protect you and the baby from diseases and infections
- help reduce morning sickness
- help relax sore or tense muscles and joints
- helps treat constipation because fiber and magnesium found in coconut water have a gentle laxative
- help reduce heartburn and acidity.
What to drink:
Consume the natural coconut water soon after opening, as a fresh one will contain rich nutrients. You can drink up to one glass of coconut water a day early in the morning because the nutrients can be easily absorbed when your stomach is empty.
- fresh coconut water
What to drink with consideration:
- canned or bottled coconut water as it may contain too much sugar
Good to know:
Some of the Asian parents are not drinking coconut water during their early stage of pregnancy because they believe coconut water makes the contractions and will lead to miscarriage. Actually, drinking coconut water during pregnancy is considered safe. It’s true that coconut water contains estrogen, a female sex hormone. The estrogen can cause swelling of the breast, contractions and other symptoms. But the amount of Estrogen in coconut water is way too little to cause any action.