During the last few weeks of pregnancy, you may find yourself turning frequently in bed trying to get a comfortable position to sleep as your regular sleeping positions no longer seem to work.
While there are a number of reasons for this new discomfort, there are some sleeping positions that you can try which may help you get the much-needed rest.
Why is it so uncomfortable now?
Your body goes through a variety of changes when you are pregnant, and these changes tend to disrupt your usual peaceful sleep.
Here are some of the reasons for your discomfort:
- Increased size of the abdomen
- Back pain
- Shortness of breath
Tips for sleeping during third trimester
The symptoms mentioned above are temporary and will nag you only for the last trimester. You can still tackle most of them and get a good night’s sleep. The following simple tips will help you avoid bad sleeping position during the third trimester:
- Use as many pillows and cushions as you need, to get into a comfortable position during sleep, and, if possible, get a curved pregnancy pillow.
- Try using your left side and wedging pillows between your legs and behind your back for some extra support.
- Wear loose and comfortable nightwear made of breathable cotton fabrics to get you all comfortable and in the ‘feeling’ of sleep — avoid tight clothing.
- Lying down on the bed may not exactly be comfortable during the third trimester, so, if you find yourself cozier on a comfy chair or a sofa, go ahead and doze off.
- Consume light food at dinner — avoid spicy foods since they tend to cause heartburn that usually aggravates at night.
- Try some light exercise, under the supervision of a trainer of course; this will relax you and give your body a good supply of oxygen, which will help you sleep better.
You may not like these suggestions, especially if you are used to sleeping on your back or stomach, but try them out. They might work for you. Keep in mind that you may not stay in one position all night, and changing positions is fine.
- Sleeping Poistions, American Pregnancy Association (http://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-health/sleeping-positions-during-pregnancy )
- Important Sleeping Positions, Mom Junction (https://www.momjunction.com/articles/important-sleeping-positions-during-the-third-trimester-of-pregnancy_0077124/#gref/)